httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Luc Pardon <l...@skopos.be>
Subject Re: [pre-release] 2.0.55 *candidate* available for testing
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:30:52 GMT

Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 11:38:03AM +0200, Graham Leggett wrote:
> > Anybody who wants to run the latest version of httpd on their RPM based
> > server,
>
> How many people actually build RPM's is what I'm wondering, given the
> errors that creep in in the releases, and we don't see that many
> complaints, it can't be a very high number. I see a fair amount of
> downloads for the RPM's files themselves, which is what makes me wonder.

   If this was not a release candidate and/or if this list was not
dev@httpd.apache.org, I would probably not have bothered. I would have
fixed it myself and moved on.

   Selfish, I know, but it takes time to go find the right list, check
existing bugs, document your case and then be prepared to go get a
bugzilla password and submit a bug report and a testcase. You also run
the risk of having to face some adverse comments if you miss some fine
point of the group's etiquette (top posting, bottom posting, to snip or
quote in full, ...). Note that I'm not talking about _this_ list, but
developer lists in general. It actually helped that I happen to be a
lurker on this list, so I know it's a cosy place. There are others.

   And to be honest, I sometimes find myself thinking: if these people
(in general, not httpd) can't be bothered to ship something that doesn't
build out of the box in the first place, why should I care and what
chances do I have of getting it changed. So you fix, build, install and
move on.

   Could that explain part of what you're seeing ?

    Luc