httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r307031 - in /httpd/httpd/branches/2.2.x: CHANGES include/ap_mmn.h include/http_core.h modules/http/http_core.c server/core.c server/core_filters.c server/protocol.c
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2005 17:13:17 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Brian J. France wrote:
>
>> Will this patch allow the removal of this code from mod_ftp
>> ftp_ssl_init function:
>>
>>     /* This is handled in the NET_TIME filter, which unfortunately
>>      * ignores the timeout for the purpose of AP_MODE_INIT.
>>      * Fix a timeout so the core read filter will behave.
>>      */
>>     client_socket = ap_get_module_config(cdata->conn_config,
>>                                          &core_module);
>>     apr_socket_timeout_set(client_socket, cdata->base_server->timeout);
>

> Yup.
>
> mod_ftp has a number of timeouts, itself, and might possibly benefit
> some administrators if we shift to cdata->base_server->keepalive_timeout
> after the first request line is read.  This way, one could have a very
> short (e.g. 10 sec) timeout to begin processing the USER command, while
> providing the user a more generous (e.g. 180 sec) timeout between cmds.
> The more that I think about it, that shift should only happen once the
> user is authenticated.

Oh, I should point out that there was always a hack (a different one,
however) in mod_ftp - this one I came up with fixing mod_echo.  Prior to
this patch, mod_echo would succeed on Linux and Win32 (blocking forever)
and consume massive cycles on Solaris and AIX (nonblocking, and spinning
through brigade_gets perpetually.)  When mod_ssl is added to mod_echo,
it would fail outright on Solaris and AIX because the BLOCK mode would
always fail to set up the timeout.  And invoking AP_MODE_INIT always
failed as well, because the NET_TIME filter ignored it (and it was the
single most criticial get_brigade call before the protocol would reply
with an immediate write.)

So this patch had more to do with Apache, mod_echo and most protocols
(other than http) than with mod_ftp specifically.

Bill