httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathanael D. Noblet" <nathan...@gnat.ca>
Subject Re: curious write-requests
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2005 08:04:09 GMT
On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 09:01 +0200, andreas.konrad@arcor.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we have an extra partition (ReiserFS) for the htdocs directory of our apache 1.3.28 (SuSE
9.0).
> For performance issues we have monitored our webserver with the tool "iostat" and recognized
many write-requests on the htdocs-partition.

> Can anyone explain to me where this write-requests do come from? Who is writing and what/why?
>
> In a test we requested only static html-pages which can't write temporary files. Nevertheless
we had this write-requests.

Just a guess but perhaps updating the atime or something like that
(last-accessed) time of the file? I know I saw awhile ago a document
saying to increase performance to mount noatime on filesystems for
web/file serving...

Just a guess however.
--
Nathanael D. Noblet