httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: mod_proxy http request body code review request
Date Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:33:24 GMT
On 9/8/05, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> As many of the proxy reviewers could not follow
> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd/httpd/branches/proxy-reqbody-2.0.x/modules/proxy/proxy_http.c?rev=230744&r1=230703&r2=230744
>
> I've provided the following fork of that codebase, to try to repair the
> damage from the vetoed 171205 commit, in a piece by piece analysis of
> what's changed and why.

Here's the "why" for normally using chunked encoding to origin server
if client sent to our proxy using chunked encoding:

If origin server doesn't support chunked, it wasn't going to work
bypassing this proxy or using some other proxy implementations anyway;
therefore unlikely that client code would be chunking to a server that
doesn't support it (if this configuration only works when an uplevel
Apache proxy is in the middle, admin can go a step further and use the
sendcl setting to convert from chunked to cl)

For the record, what is wrong with that?

This is of interest because using chunked potentially results in lower
resource use.