httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <scte...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [semi-PATCH] Allow out-of-tree apr/apu source
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:13:10 GMT

On Sep 12, 2005, at 10:10 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Patrick Welche wrote:
>>>
>>> You have to buildconf both the apr and apr-util source trees before
>>> doing so in the httpd tree, which is not unreasonable IMO.  I
>>> think it'd
>>> be surprising behaviour for the httpd buildconf to go and
>>> regenerate the
>>> configure script in the external directories so -0 on the patch.

Hm... IMHO the buildconf should propagate into APR and APU. Why do
you run buildconf? Probably because something changed in your M4
macro collection or you need to suck in alternative auto*;libtool
foo. I think you need you entire tree at the same level of autofoo:
updating httpd and leaving apr/apu at a different revision may
introduce unwanted side effects.

>> I think the problem is that although buildconf claims to look in
>> srclib/apr
>> and ../apr, configure.in only runs APR_FIND_APR on srclib/apr, so
>> never
>> looks in ../apr. I have been running with the attached patch instead,
>> but I think the aim is the same.. (There is a problem here..)

If I read your patch correctly, it will configure every APR source
tree it finds, and ../apr-util twice. I'm thinking more along the
lines of sucking the apr_src_dir variable used in buildconf into the
M4 substitution of autoconf, and configuring only that one. That's
all we need. Now, how to suck that value in? Probably export it in
buildconf, then use some env-substitute-m4 fu?

> What's significant about ../apr though?  It's outside our build
> tree, so
> shouldn't be in the list of 'default paths'.

It's as arbitrary as ../apr/apr/trunk, which is where my checkout
sits. I'm kinda mirroring the svn layout for no good reason at all.

> Doesn't
>
> ./buildconf --with-apr=../apr

Currently not, because elsewhere in buildconf it hardcodes srclib/
apr, and apu's buildconf needs to be fed the --with-aprparameter. My
patch fixes this, but it needs additional work on configure.in.

As I said, I'm scratching my own itch here. My particular working
copy layout is completely arbitrary and I won't (and can't) force any
particular configuration upon anyone. What I do want to achieve is
that the --with-apr and --with-apr-util parameters to buildconf work
as advertised, and propagate down to a buildable configuration.

S.

- --