httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Stoddard <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: patch to mod_arm4
Date Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:50:04 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Bill Stoddard wrote:

>> Hello Kai,
>> Your patch is difficult to review because there are too many unrelated
>> changes. Please break the mod_arm4.c patch into smaller, independently
>> reviewable patches.
>

> Kai, before you say 'OMG, they are making me jump through hoops just to
> offer back all the things I've fixed!!!'...
>
> ...just know that Stoddard did the same thing to me 4+yrs ago, and now,
> heh, I'm how deep in Win32/Apache stuff?  Listen to FirstBill LOL.
>
> Bill

Kai,
Just to drive the point home I'll get on my soap-box for a minute...

<soapbox>
One of the strengths of open source development is peer-review.  A thriving open source project
enables many
eyes to see every line of code going into the project which improves the quality of the project's
code.  As
open source developers (and you are an open source developer because you are submitting patches
publically to
an open source project development mailing list) we have the responsibility to the development
community to
make our patches as easy to review as possible.  If I see a 1000 line patch come across the
mailing list that
adds new functions, does some code reformatting, fixes a few bugs, etc., I and most of the
other developers
here are just going to ignore it. If a patch is more than I can understand in maybe 30 minutes,
I'm not
spending my time on it. That's why I suggested breaking your patch up into multiple self standing
patches that
are self contained and easy to understand/consume. I can't eat the whole thing at once, but
send it in bite
sized pieces and maybe I can help. Make sense?
</soapbox>

Thanks
Bill