httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Issues for 2.1.8
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2005 03:58:16 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:
> What is the real issue with having an experimental module subdir?
> If it makes it easier for people to use it or try it out, then
> why not?

Because --with-foo / --without-foo syntax gives **NO** indication to
the user, or indication from the user, that they are willing to use
experimental code.

It also adds additional headaches.  mod_dumpio, for example, clearly
is a logger.  Why, as a new module, would one look for it to be within
'experimental' as opposed to it's purpose (logging).

The problem is that apache config syntax, and our directory structure
bear no relation to each other.  YOU the developer understand that the
code in experimental/mod_foo.c isn't cooked, but the USER sees none of
that when they invoke --with-foo.

This is all about developers who want testers to adopt code inflicting
it on users who don't know that it might not be quite ready for them
to rely upon, and was only provided for them to experiment with.

Bill