httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Issues for 2.1.8
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2005 21:13:59 GMT
Paul Querna wrote:

> So, lets change the VERSIONING file/policy.  Experimental Modules will
> be included in the stable branch. Majority Agree?

-1, we've bounced back and forth on this for 10 years, but the simple
fact is that the stable branch should be stable, because users with low
technical literacy aren't always that helpful in moving a module from
unstable to stable.

If the community isn't willing to support the code (e.g. 'experimental',
or not-supported) then it doesn't belong in release tarballs.

Create snapshots, alphas, whatever of the unstable branch and get those
with higher pain tolerance, more eager to adopt 'all the cool stuff' to
participate in the effort to stablilize the new code.  *Then* if it's
worthwhile, bring it to the list that we adopt the module as supported
in the stable/current release branch.

Bill