httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <>
Subject Re: Issues for 2.1.8
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2005 20:58:36 GMT wrote:
> Sorry for possibly starting an old discussion here, but is this really a
> good idea? I guess mod_ldap and mod_cache would not be
> in that good shape they currently are on 2.2.x branch and on trunk, if they
> had not been experimental modules in 2.0.x and would have only lived on the trunk.
> I think by having them in experimental they got in the focus of several
> people who weren't involved in developing httpd and thus got tested which
> resulted in PR's, patches and enhancement requests by those people.
> And even if these people look in the trunk for such modules, it is not
> always easy to make them work with the previous release.

I'd argue the opposite.  Do you notice how few people at any given time
are following bugzilla?  Cleaning up and mopping up?  I've done my 400+
hours of time on that side, and am likely to jump back in from time to
time, but it's unfair to throw unstable code out into the general (read:
non-developer) community and have it all land on the backs of five folk
who may or may not be interested in that specific flakey module.

It got fixed not because there were more testers, but as often as not,
because there were developers who -cared-.  So, if those same developers
who care want to see their module in GA, it better be something better
than unstable before we inflict it on the entire user community.  So if
there is a higher bar for GA, does that mean that

Of course, these are alphas/betas.  There is no reason not to keep these
modules in every alpha release.  Drop them from the beta to avoid user's
confusion when they see the GA.

The better answer; if they won't be release quality in 2.2.0, we should
simply svn rm them from 2.2.x branch.  They live on, in trunk :)

And best yet, the developers *should* encourage other devs and power
users to try out snapshots until they are beta quality.  Drop them into - that's where unstable/unproven code really
belongs.  Once we hear back 'good things', then the entire project
should be willing to support these new modules.

View raw message