httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brad Nicholes" <BNICHO...@novell.com>
Subject Re: Issues for 2.1.8
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2005 23:54:38 GMT
  OK so here you go (funny, I guess I now consider myself an old-timer).
 I am +1 for including experimental modules in the stable releases
mainly because of my experience with auth_ldap and mod_ldap which I
consider to be very successful.  Back in 2001 the dev list, for some odd
reason (and you can read the archives for more details), voted to remove
auth_ldap and mod_ldap out of the core project and into it's own
sub-project.  During the next 10 months, all development/maintenance of
the module ceased.  Moving these modules into a sub-project with no
visibility and no release mechanism, essentially killed them.  In Aug.
of 2002 after some discussion on the list, I proposed to move auth_ldap
and mod_ldap back into the core project but as experimental modules.
Once they were moved back, myself, Graham and others started working on
them with the goal in mind of getting them stabilized and out of
experimental.  With the release of 2.2, that goal will be accomplished.

   IMO, moving auth_ldap and mod_ldap back into the experimental
directory and releasing them in the tarball, provided them with the
opportunity to be developed, tested, stabilized and to become standard
modules.  Allowing them to be released along side of the standard
modules gave them the visibility and testing they needed to identify
stabilization issues and other bugs that needed to be addressed before
they could be promoted out of experimental.

   It is true that auth_ldap and mod_ldap are still classified as
experimental in the 2.0 branch but this is not because of stability
issues or anything else other than circumstances.  The authentication
refactoring essentially caused a fork in the auth_ldap code.  All new
development continued in trunk even though bug fixes where still being
backported to 2.0.  They are still experimental in 2.0 only because
there is no point in moving them with the current release expectation of
2.2 where they will be classified as standard modules.

  IMO, we need to continue to do this with other modules like mod_dbd,
mod_filter, etc.  It does the project more good to keep the user engaged
in new stuff allowing it to move forward and stabilize newer
functionality.

Brad

<43308718.2040903@rowe-clan.net>, wrowe@rowe-clan.net wrote:
> Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 02:01:07PM -0700, Paul Querna wrote:
>>
>>>So, lets change the VERSIONING file/policy.  Experimental Modules
will
>>>be included in the stable branch. Majority Agree?
>>
>> +1
>
> I thank everyone who's voicing an opinion - it's very important that
we
> come to concensus.
>
> I'm incredibly concerned however that most votes on this issue are
from
> our 'newcomers' - those without the experience of the pains and
problems
> encountered in previous Apache release cycles.  I appreciate all of
the
> enthusiasm, drive and forward momentum!  But I'm worried that a
policy
> we arrived at, following the contentious and problematic 2.0 GA,
would
> be tossed aside so quickly without any feedback from our 'older'
devs.

> So this message is not at our newcomers, welcome to you all.
Rather,
> I'm addressing this post to our 'old timers' who did struggle
through
> the 1.3.x and 2.0.x GA process, to add your thoughts and
observations.