httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Apache 2.1/2.2/2.3...
Date Sat, 17 Sep 2005 17:28:59 GMT
Brad Nicholes wrote:
>    I think we all agree that all of the backporting and sync'ing sucks
> but I don't see any other way of doing this.  At some point 2.2 has to
> branch, stabilize and finally release.  In a perfect world releasing 2.2
> would happen immediately after branching it so that no backporting or
> sync'ing would be required.  The problem is that the world we are in
> isn't even close to perfect.  So in order to minimize the pain, we
> should be putting our efforts into stabilizing and releasing 2.2.  Then
> hopefully and within a reasonable time period, the 2.0 branch will just
> fade away so that we don't have to worry about it much any more.

My opinion is that you could get the same effect while keeping head as
the source of 2.2 until much closer to a final release.  Just say that
anything major should be developed on a temporary branch and not on head
until 2.2 is released and we move head to 2.3/2.4.  That puts the
backporting/merging weight on the people who want to expiriment, rather
than putting it on people who want to bug fix and stabilize.

Joshua.