httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Phillip Susi <ps...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: Bandwidth Limit on Windows
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2005 21:03:34 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> It's called swap-death.  Forcing the system to begin paging both mapped
> files (which aren't swapped to the swap file since their contents are
> unchanged, e.g. your programs and dll files' code pages) and ram (which
> is thrown at the swap file) slows it down considerably.
>
> Bill

This is not true.  Mapping a full view of a large file does not cause
any data to actually be read, and hence, any memory to be used.  Data is
only read from disk as the pages are faulted in on access.

William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

 > Yup.  It's definately worth considering your alternatives.  It's also
 > worth looking at what socket-level timeouts exist, or if we can start
 > plugging in some higher-level timeout within the MPM.  When a process
 > does nothing in certain phases of the request cycle after some timeout,
 > simply close the socket from underneath APR.
 >
 > So how to figure out if we are making progress?  I'm unsure and this
 > all deserves another look at the current state of the Win32 sockets API,
 > I haven't fallen down that well in a good long time :)
 >
 > Of course async would be wonderful, at some point, as apache 3.0 starts
 > to draw interest.
 >
 > Bill

I agree, trying to solve this kind of DoS attack in the httpd is kind of
futile.  Also async IO is the way to go imho, and I've been spending
some spare time lately trying to figure out how hard it would be to
modify apache to take advantage of async IO, which would allow for the
kind of zero copy IO that sendfile and TransmitFile were created for,
without the problems they cause.  It also allows a small number of
threads to scale to serving a very large number of clients.