httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Bandwidth Limit on Windows
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2005 18:44:45 GMT
Phillip Susi wrote:
> Probably has to do with sendfile, always turn it off on windows.  I was
> seeing low throughput as well until I turned off sendfile, then over a
> 100 MBps network I got over 11,000 KB/s.
>
> Apparently apache has a rather horrible emulation of sendfile on windows
> for some reason or another.

Sendfile != MMap.

In the case of Sendfile, it's using the Win32 API TransmitFile().  In
the case of MMap, the file is mapped into virtual memory, and loaded
into physical memory.  Apache prefers Sendfile, if both are available,
IIRC.

However, the way Apache/APR MMAPs the entire file is quite probably
sub-optimal for some resources.

Bill