httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brandon Fosdick <b...@bfoz.net>
Subject Re: How do I handle Unicode inside XML request bits?
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2005 01:21:34 GMT
Joe Orton wrote:
> The &#65536; character will be passed through in its four byte UTF-8
> form (which is 0xf4 0x80 0x80 0x80 I think); are you storing the
> property values in the database in a UTF-8-safe field?  Problems with
> this test are typically that some character conversion happens under
> your feet or simply that the data store isn't 8-bit-safe.

The field I was storing it in was set to ascii_general_ci so I tried chaning it to utf8-bin
and now it works. I can't look at the values in phpMyAdmin (they're displayed as blobs now),
but I can live with that. Thanks for the help.

BTW, litmus has been very helpful. Frustrating, but helpful. Although to be fair, most of
my problems are due to my own ignorance.