httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <bri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How long until 2.2
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2005 23:25:08 GMT
Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:

>On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 04:18:34PM -0400, Bill Stoddard wrote:
>

>>I guess for some definition of "much" I am not suprised. I would expect the
>>event MPM to consume more CPU than worker under 'low' workloads (low number
>>of concurrent clients) because it's making more system calls to do the same
>>amount of work. Event should start to show benefits as the number of
>>concurrent connections into the server goes up.  That's what I would expect
>>anyway; no idea if the event MPM is sufficiently refined to show any
>>benefit at any workload.
>>

>I definitely see speed improvements using the event MPM, probably due to
>the lack of an Accept Mutex. I have to get around to hacking the worker
>MPM to see if that's what it is.

As part of my recent async R&D, I hacked a copy of the leader/followers MPM
to work with a single, central pollset (like event).  It wasn't anywhere
near production
quality--I never got around to implementing tmeouts, for example--but it
was faster
than worker in non-real-world testing (client and server talking to each
other over
Gigabit ethernet.)

This weekend, when I have time to do some more httpd work, I'll do a more
robust hack of the leader MPM within the async-dev branch so that it's
available for other people to test.

Brian