httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: ApacheCon BOF about Module Repository
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2005 20:34:19 GMT
Sander Temme wrote:

> One aspect of TCAHMAN that I hadn't covered in my original discussion
> is how to add modules from the repository to an existing Apache
> install. This would require a program, installed with the server,  that
> can fetch the module code and run the build/install. We have
> tentatively named this program apxs++ since it's a logical extension  of
> what apxs does today. For maximum compatibility, this tool would  have
> to be written in C. Currently, apxs is a Perl program but you  can't
> always count on the availability of Perl on the system,  especially on
> Windows. The apxs++ tool would be available only when  mod_so is available.

FYI - please don't worry about perl on win32.  Between Randy's distro
and the ActiveState offering, perl is fairly ubiquitous (at least more
common than python).  If we need a common denominator, I really have
never had an issue with perl.  The bigger problem is scripting for the
lowest common denominator, at least perl 5.005, since there are so many
flavors commonly distributed.

Digging into C implies a serf-like http: client library, which is
certainly less prevalant than perl itself.  At least libwww is trivial
to obtain, if not already bundled.

Bill