httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: LoadModule questions on WIN32
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2005 20:23:30 GMT
Paul Querna wrote:
> [..snip..]
>
> IMO, this sure sounds like a bug in the way the WINNT MPM operates. I
> believe it should be changed to match the same pattern as all the other
> MPMs.

Within reason, I agree.  In fact I had (at one point) ensured they were
all in sync.  Apparently some patch botched that.

Note Win32 will never 'fork()' children, so the initialization of the
parent is independent of the child.  If you make half-assed assumptions
in modules that 'it's just done right' win32, as well as other poorly
forking implementation (OS/X with it's piss-poor fork() performance
comes to mind) might just break.

One thing we need is a parent->child transition API which is immune from
the lack-of-fork().  If you peek into the pass/read listener() logic
buried inside of mpm_winnt.c, you will see why this needs to be much
more abstract and approachable, before we expect unix-oriented authors
to just 'get it right'.