httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Multiple conf files?
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 13:36:23 GMT

William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Before I point out that the current betas have all previously been
> vetoed on the 2.1 release chain - can anyone point me at the conclusion
> of the vote to split the httpd.conf into conf'lets?
>
> Several folks argued strongly against multiple conf files on list,
> pointing out that's where we came from (srm.conf/access.conf) and
> what we, once upon a time, had retreated from.

First, you are working from a faulty assumption.  We do not have
multiple conf files in 2.1.  We have a single, short and simple config
file, and a directory with a bunch of examples for more complex
configurations.

It was discussed extensively, including, for example, the thread
starting here:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-dev/200504.mbox/%3cPine.WNT.4.61.0504021433310.944@bronfman504%3e

I did not see any objections to this structure after it was clearly
explained and understood, and certainly no vetos.

If people are concerned (as I am) with new users getting hit by
death-from-a-thousand-config-files, then I wouldn't at all object to
replacing the commented-out Include's at the bottom with a simple
comment telling people to copy-paste the example configs in at that point.

Joshua.