httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Issues for 2.1.8
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:31:10 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> I don't mind rolling dice that the code is 'good enough' if it gets the
> votes here on list.  Seriously, no objections.  But it's too damned easy
> to get +1 "ya, that's a cool new module, but I doubt it works, so throw
> it in experimental."  Code that, anywhere else in the ASF, would never
> get the votes for release.  And -that- is why experimental must die :)

I agree with your point that experimental has the potential of
being abused, and to end up as a dumping ground for modules and
code that aren't up to snuff, but "we" still want out there.
So for us to have an experimental classification, we need to
do some due-diligence and not be afraid to say "this has
been experimental too long; we either fix/promote it, or we
drop it."

In that way, experimental is almost like a beta classification...