httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Issues for 2.1.8
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:54:34 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Jim Jagielski wrote:
> > What is the real issue with having an experimental module subdir?
> > If it makes it easier for people to use it or try it out, then
> > why not?
>
> Because --with-foo / --without-foo syntax gives **NO** indication to
> the user, or indication from the user, that they are willing to use
> experimental code.

Certainly configure can be adjusted to print that fact...

> It also adds additional headaches.  mod_dumpio, for example, clearly
> is a logger.  Why, as a new module, would one look for it to be within
> 'experimental' as opposed to it's purpose (logging).

IMO, the easier we make it for end-users and developers to try out
modules that haven't enjoyed a large amount of "real world usage"
time, the better. How about instead of 'experimental' something
like 'in-development' or 'nrfpty (not ready for prime time yet) :)