httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Issues for 2.1.8
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2005 00:13:07 GMT
On Tuesday 20 September 2005 23:44, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Nick Kew wrote:
> > The highest numbers of bugs are for the more complex subsystems.
> > For example, cache, ldap, ssl, proxy - which are NOT currently in
> > experimental.
>
> Whoa...
>
>   * cache - that's experimental.
>   * ldap  - that's experimental.

Hmmm, must be too long since I looked at 2.0 areas other than those
I've worked actively on - like proxy :-)

> >   * mod_charset_lite has been there a long time.  It could use more work
> >     (configuration is very limiting) but is useful within its
> > limitations.
>
> So it's no longer an experiment; move it to modules/filters/

+1

> >   * mod_filter has been there a while and got some positive feedback.
> >      But since it's only in 2.1 (or 2.0+power-user-hack), that's limited.
> >   * Event MPM - similar situation to mod_filter.
>
> So they are new.  Why does that make them experimental?  If they work,
> and will continue to be maintained, then move them to the right place.

Well really they're beta.  We think they work, but we'll only find out for
sure when the bug reports roll in.

> >   * mod_dbd is new but is going to be Big and Important :-)  And it's
> >     descended from a family of modules that have been in production
> >     for a couple of years.
>
> Question; does this require the apr-util features in 1.3?

1.2 or higher.

I should add a little more about it.  It is descended from a family of
connection pooling modules built around apr_reslist.  I've been using
it two years myself, and some *very* big household name sites have been
using it for some time.  What is new is the apr_dbd/mod_dbd split,
which was arrived at by discussion here a little under a year ago.
So, like proxy, cache, etc, it's really a refactoring of existing stuff.

Oh, and let me repeat: mod_dbd offers the biggest advance in applications
development since mod_perl gave us the beginnings of LAMP ten years ago!
Remember the late 1980s, when every PC application came on a huge
stack of floppies, comprising *mostly* just a bunch of drivers for hundreds
of different printers?  Database handling in Apache 1.x and 2.0 looks like
that: every module or application that wants a database has to reinvent
that wheel - and then reinvent connection pooling on top of it if it wants
more scalability!

> Of course auth, and proxy refactoring may still have (big) flaws.  No
> problem, that's what the alpha/beta/GA cycle is ment to catch & address.

That argument applies equally to filter, event and dbd.  And to a lesser
extent everything else that's changed since 2.0 and APR-0.9.

--
Nick Kew