httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Colm MacCarthaigh <c...@stdlib.net>
Subject Re: Issues for 2.1.8
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2005 21:46:31 GMT
On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 03:58:36PM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> And best yet, the developers *should* encourage other devs and power
> users to try out snapshots until they are beta quality.  Drop them into
> httpd.apache.org/dev/dist/ - that's where unstable/unproven code really
> belongs.  Once we hear back 'good things', then the entire project
> should be willing to support these new modules.

Sometimes things are marked experimental not because they are unstable
in the sense that they contain a disproportionate ammount of bugs we
have yet to notice, but rather are unstable in the sense that their
behaviour or API may change in future versions - because the developers
havn't quite got a feel for what might be optimal in the majority case
yet.

IMO, things like the event MPM or caching in 2.0 fall in to this
category, and I've been happy to run them in production.

The trouble with these things is that being in GA tarballs is what
eventually lets us figure out what works for the majority case.

I'm not sure asking power users and devs to test these things is as
useful an alternative for this category of things.