httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Issues for 2.1.8
Date Sun, 18 Sep 2005 23:42:23 GMT
On Sunday 18 September 2005 22:24, Paul Querna wrote:
> I would like to tag and start a 2.1.8-beta cycle next weekend.
>
> According to our VERSIONING file, we should remove all modules
> underneath modules/experimental/ for the 2.2.0 release.  This currently
> includes mod_case_filter, mod_charset_lite, mod_example, mod_dbd, and
> mod_filter.  This means we should either declare some of these modules
> 'stable', or remove them from the 2.2.x branch until they are considered
> stable. The alternative is to change our VERSIONING policy/file.  Thoughts?

Yow!

Well, I'm responsible for mod_filter and mod_dbd being in experimental.
I thought it appropriate to put them there until such time as they've been
sufficiently test-driven in the real world to declare stable.  That depends on
them going into a release.  The same probably applies to charset_lite if
anyone is taking an interest(?)

mod_example should probably go (we know it's problematic, and noone
got round to fixing it AFAICR).  I've never looked at case_filter, but I guess
that's probably another example?

Looking at that "versioning", I guess that means they have to become part
of the general beta.  Which I guess is on the par with other much-rewritten
parts like proxy and cache.

dbd has another classification problem: there's no slot for it in /modules/ !
I wonder if we need a new directory.  Something like /modules/api/ , for
modules whose primary purpose is to export functions/hooks/APIs for
other modules?

> If there are any fixes you want in 2.1.8, please try to backport them
> from trunk this week.

I hacked up a mod_authn_dbd one night at apachecon(!)   It's mostly copied
from mod_authn_dbm, with the backend calls translated to dbd, and it's totally
untested.  I just uploaded it to http://people.apache.org/~niq/mod_authn_dbd.c
and if I or anyone can find time, it would be nice to add authn_dbd
(and authz_dbd, which I haven't started).

--
Nick Kew