httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [semi-PATCH] Allow out-of-tree apr/apu source
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2005 09:59:07 GMT
On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 11:26:04PM -0700, Sander Temme wrote:
> Trying to scratch a personal itch tonight. I'd like to build my
> checked out tree against a checkout of {apr,apu}, which sit somewhere
> else on my system. As far as I can tell, this is currently not
> possible. I tried to point buildconf to my working copies: it borks.
> The following patch to buildconf (also attached) unborks:

You have to buildconf both the apr and apr-util source trees before
doing so in the httpd tree, which is not unreasonable IMO.  I think it'd
be surprising behaviour for the httpd buildconf to go and regenerate the
configure script in the external directories so -0 on the patch.

> I'm simply removing the hardcoded references to srclib/ap{r,u}.
> However, this is only part of the fix: httpd's configure also needs
> to know where to find apr and apu. Perhaps there's more, deeper down.
> I have to meditate on my m4-fu before I attempt this, but first I'd
> like to run the use cases by the community. Yes, that's you.

I can't really see why it is useful to support building httpd against an
external *unbuilt* apr/apr-util source tree?  Why not just build the
external packages first and install them and then configure --with-apr
--with-apr-util as normal?

Regards,

joe