httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: provider enhancement
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2005 14:55:51 GMT
Nick Kew wrote:

> I'm struggling to think of a case where you would want such a
> list in software, as opposed to at the admin or user level.

Here's my thought. Instead of using hooks, registering each lbmethod
as a "provider" instead. The thing is, the balancer-manager allows
the admin to change lbmethods (and other things) on the fly. So
the manager needs to know which lbmethod providers there are.

The current modules which use providers (DAV and the cache) don't
provide for this functionality, so they can get by with just doing
a simple lookup and, if it doesn't succeed, assume no such provider
exists. But the balancer needs that list to be dynamic...

                     "Sith happens"  -  Yoda