httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Distributing httpd-2.2, redux
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2005 18:53:08 GMT
--On September 30, 2005 1:43:50 PM -0500 "William A. Rowe, Jr."
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

>    * Ship httpd-2.2.x.tar.gz (solo), and httpd-2.2.x-bundle.tar.gz which
>      includes all the sub-packages the user should likely need (including
>      pcre/apr/-util/expat/-iconv/)?  Perhaps even zlib/openssl?

IIRC, Subversion has already decided to go down this path for it's upcoming
1.3.0 series.  So, I'm not adverse to this idea for httpd either.  It
offers a compromise solution for our users - at the expense of some
additional mirror space.  We'd have to be careful to document what's what
too so our users don't get confused by the additional options.

(I would be against distributing anything beyond our 'bare' minimums - so
no zlib or OpenSSL.)

My only comment about unbundling pcre is that we're *very* particular about
the pcre version.  Most OS distribution's versions of pcre aren't even
close to being acceptable. We can't rely on any OS-native regex engines
either as they aren't sufficient.  For expat and iconv, any installed
version will likely be satisfactory.  So, I think pcre must stay.  -- justin