httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Thoughts on Future Versions/Backporting
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2005 17:48:27 GMT
On 8/19/05, Paul Querna <chip@force-elite.com> wrote:

> I think part of our problem is that we backport too much.  We currently
> backport security fixes, small bug fixes, big bug fixes, and even
> complete subsystem rewrites.
>
> I believe that a more scalable design, is that "we" should try to only
> backport small items.  This has several major effects, like making it
> easier to vote on items in the STATUS file, since it is generally easier
> to understand a single two line bug fix, rather than an entire rewrite
> of a module.

How about a section at the top of the STATUS file for backports that
change < 20 lines so that folks don't have to manually weed out STATUS
entries beyond their threshhold?

Three people massaged/reviewed/approved some piece of code.  That's
good enough for me, and I'm confused why it isn't (at least) good
enough for everybody else.  Let the votes fall where they may.
Everything will die in due course.

> At a personal level, I intend to only help backport small items, and I
> will help with creating stable branches more often, to get all our new
> features out to users.

The current system allows your "personal level" and my "personal
level" and everybody else's "personal level" to be merged
appropriately, except when

* somebody wants to backport something without enough positive reviews
* somebody wants to prevent the backport of something that does have
enough positive reviews