httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <san...@temme.net>
Subject Re: Apache 2: Integrating code into the main even loop of the parent process
Date Fri, 05 Aug 2005 04:12:17 GMT
Jarrod,

On Aug 4, 2005, at 8:29 PM, robersonja wrote:

> Hi,
>     We are trying to add the ability for Apache 2 to do ZeroConf
> browsing using the Apple Bonjour client code to talk to their POSIX
> mdns code.

Excellent! I hope to change mod_zeroconf one day to use Apple's
DnsDiscovery API, but have very little time to spend on this.

> The Apple code requires a callback to be called when data arrives
> from the multicast group. Ideally I would like this to be in the
> parent process with access to the data available to all the
> children processes modules.

My approach so far has been to spawn a child process in the
post_config hook handler to handle the callbacks. This is what I'm
doing in the current version of mod_zeroconf, which uses Howl. You
can find that at http://www.temme.net/sander/mod_zeroconf/ .

For the DnsDiscovery API, my first approach is to go without a
callback handler: with the autorename feature in the mDNSResponder,
Apache should not ever have to handle any callbacks. However, there
may be a time when such a callback needs to be implemented.

As I said, I have very little time to spend on this.

S.