httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Status of 2.1.7
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2005 02:10:25 GMT
At 07:40 PM 8/30/2005, Paul Querna wrote:
>William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>> So -1 here from the peanut gallery on beta for this candidate,
>> simply because most devs didn't feel strongly enough to endorse
>> this beta over the last week+.  Let's see if we can't find a
>> candidate that folks endorse more strongly.
>
>So, this is a -1 not on technical reasons, but because other people
>haven't voted on it?  I disagree on that kind of reason for a -1 vote.

First; vote +/- 1 on a release need not be technical, is _never_
a veto, and

If we are going to release a beta, we have to *support* the beta.
If folks aren't voting, will they be supporting the problem reports
that come in?

My *biggest* concerns before we announce beta again *to the world*
are that;

 * we need a 2.0 -> 2.2 document.  What changed?  What do I have
   to change in my httpd.conf?  What's known to break? (As opposed
   to the existing CHANGES of what is now 'unbroken').

 * we need internal testers, who are obviously testing the
   candidates thoroughly and promptly (voting soon after some
   candidate is proposed.)  We state "2.n.n is the BEST AVAILABLE
   VERSION" (italics mine) - and it damned well better be :)

 * we need folks to comb bugzilla for the new reports coming
   in once the beta is announced, and help fix.  We have a few
   new committers so this will get easier.  (FYI - if you are
   an occasional contributor, all it takes is posts to the
   dev@httpd discussing and proposing patches over an extended
   period of time to become a committer.  The project is looking
   for committers who help with multiple interests and who show
   an overall interest in the health of the httpd project.)

 * we are prepared to go GA within 6-8 weeks.  It's pointless
   if the code isn't that far along.

Calling it an alpha, beta, or a quadrangle is worthless if we
aren't investing the effort to elicit every available tester,
and if we aren't giving them the resources they need to help
*US* get it right :)

Let's move on, 2.1.7 already collected dust.

Bill