httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: RFC: can I make mod_cache per-dir?
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2005 21:51:34 GMT
At 07:29 AM 8/15/2005, Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
>On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 01:50:14PM +0200, Graham Leggett wrote:
>> >     It can't reliably disable caching for a directory.
>>
>> Proxy has a mechanism to do this, cache should have a similar mechanism.
>> Does CacheDisable not do this?
>
>That's per-location, not per-directory. If multiple uri's map to the
>same directory, I have to add per-location directives for each one. But
>I'm *really* screwed when multiple vhosts, with different aliases point
>to the same directory.
>
>My main reason is that I can't enable or disable caching on a
>per-directory or per-file basis.

Twofold issue, and I think this is where we've confused things.

The cache should be walked RUN_VERY_FIRST in map_to_storage; the
cache ***is*** a URI store.  The cache has nothing to do with any
files or directories (although your regex solution would help to
disable caching of certain files, e.g. ".*.tar.gz$").

The other side is -when- do we decide to cache?  In the fixups
phase it would be trivial to support a NoCache 'local' syntax
which is checked before we start setting aside the response
into our local cache.  This is the right way to decide caching.

You are asking for mod_cache to be intimate with the details of
the request, and it's none of mod_cache's damned business where
the content of its cache comes from.

But on the other hand, adding a fixup to declare content that is
non-cacheable by the local apache instance is quite legitimate.

Bill