httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: RTC killed the open source project
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2005 15:12:28 GMT
At 09:46 AM 8/9/2005, Mads Toftum wrote:
>On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 09:11:56AM -0400, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> I think that RTC has a place, but too often RTC is used as a club
>> to slow down development. Small changes that could easily
>> be made once the code has been committed instead result in
>> cycles of "Wouldn't it be best to do this?" and another
>> round of patch-vote commences.
>>
>All fine in theory, but wrowe who is the one suggesting CTR on those two
>modules certainly wasn't suggesting small changes - there was what - 20
>commits in the proxy/cache code the other day?

Uhm, we might be getting a bit confused.  ldap and cache weren't
declared stable, they are experimental in 2.0 - and it's only the
experimental modules that are suggested for pure CTR by Jim,
FirstBill and myself.

And this will probably go away if we stop rolling experimental
code in with G.A. release tarballs.  New experimental modules
should be completely tested and adopted as stand-alone by new
testers/users, before code like that goes out the door with the
httpd release.  Our branches make this pretty straightforward now.

As much as I'd like to claim that the existing 2.0 proxy code
bordered on experimental ;-)... I won't suggest it should be RTC
unless we change the policy across the board.  And these changes,
just like Jeff's original 3-mode request body handling patch,
need scrutiny.  The double-headers termination bug that Joe's
regression tests picked up is a case in point.

Bill