httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r230592 - in /httpd/httpd/branches/2.0.x: CHANGES STATUS modules/proxy/proxy_http.c
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2005 00:24:21 GMT
At 06:27 PM 8/8/2005, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>Any change that hasn't been released can be vetoed if a technical
>explanation is given.

Roy; I -totally- agree with your position.  However, emails going
back to 1997 of http://httpd.apache.org/dev/voting.html describe
a very specific process; votes are collected, result is announced,
extra +1's are welcome, extra -1's are invalid.

The voting.html is called out as a stale document.  Unfortunately,
the newer and maintained http://httpd.apache.org/dev/guidelines.html
does not issue an opinion on the matter.

It really seems that if this is the new policy it must be set
to stone.  Two questions in guidelines.html ask;

 * We should clarify under what conditions a veto can be
   rescinded or overridden.

 * Should we set a time limit on vetos of patches? Two weeks?

There ya go; the current guidelines don't spell it out.

We should remove voting.html if it no longer applies.  But we
cannot do so before we update guidelines.html.  Better yet,
bubble up guidelines.html as ASF-wide practice in some location
such as www.apache.org/dev/guidelines.html for all projects.

>If you don't like that, then release more often.  RTC or CTR is
>irrelevant to the basic principle that code changes can be vetoed
>by any of the core developers.

+= 3 :)