httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: CTR policy for experimental modules in A2.0?
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:23:23 GMT
At 04:49 PM 8/8/2005, Brad Nicholes wrote:
>+1  Deja vu, this thread sounds a lot like a discussion we had during/post-ApacheCon 2004.
 I would still like to see the patches come through trunk first just to make sure we don't
miss something going forward.

+1; too many folks are focused on trunk/, so if it isn't committed
there first, edge cases would be missed.  In the case of Jim's
proposed patch, trunk/ wasn't affected...

>In the case of auth_ldap and util_ldap, the 2.0 code base was never officially declared
stable anyway so patching it quickly for those that are using it would be helpful.   But what
I really want to see is the release of 2.2 so that we can get the new and non-experimental
code in front of more people.

+1 and +1.  2.0 will be used for quite a while, and there is no
reason not to throw fixes somewhat 'willy nilly' at that so-called
experimental code in ldap and cache.  As long as (you point out)
it's first put to trunk/ so the folks following the future-stable
code agree the patches are 'goodness'.  AND the faster we put the
2.2 out, the more folks will benefit from the un-backported fixes
and new features.

That said, I don't want 2.2 declared quite as early as 2.0 was;
I believe we got egg in our face for a slightly premature release
of 2.0, and don't want it to be repeated.  Let's pick up the pace
of alphas and betas so that truly robust code goes out the door
in the near future.

And yes - I've fallen into acronym hell, I meant commit then
(CTR) then for modules/experimental/

Bill