httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: SSL downloads faster than non SSL?
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 17:00:36 GMT
At 10:48 AM 8/3/2005, Phillip Susi wrote:
>William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
>>In the APR library, yes, we translate 'apr_sendfile' to TransmitFile()
>>on win32.  Some other magic occurs to obtain a file handle which can be passed to
TransmitFile.  But there are enough flaws in the TF() api
>>that perhaps this would be better defaulted to 'off'.
>Really?  Are you quite sure?  I wonder what's hosing it all up.  Once you hand TransmitFile()
the socket and file handles, it should blast the file over the network nice and fast.

Yes of course :)  However, sadly, Microsoft has a number of bugs in
various versions of Windows NT kernels which have 1) messed up any
transmissions from NFS files mounted from other network file stores,
2) corrupted the output from TransmitFile() on specific kernel builds,
and 3) have some indeterminate behaviors when additional third party
drivers are injected into the socket stack.

The principal is wonderful, the practice has led to many bug reports
and inquires over the users@ support channel.

Bill