httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <>
Subject Re: RTC killed the open source project
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2005 15:19:56 GMT
I definitely agree that RTC requires a lengthy time commitment
that many of us simply can't give, while CTR allows for much more
fluid development process. This is the difference between a full-time
day job and a hobby.

How many of you only spend less than an hour a day doing httpd dev work?

On Aug 9, 2005, at 6:11 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Aug 9, 2005, at 1:55 AM, Aaron Bannert wrote:
>> I can't believe you guys are still debating the merits of RTC over
>> CTR
>> after all this time. RTC killed the momentum in this project a
>> long time
>> ago.
>> The RTC experiment was tried and has failed. Can we please
> I think that RTC has a place, but too often RTC is used as a club
> to slow down development. Small changes that could easily
> be made once the code has been committed instead result in
> cycles of "Wouldn't it be best to do this?" and another
> round of patch-vote commences.
> CTR is better suited towards more volunteer-oriented
> processes, where someone may have a lot of time today
> and tomorrow, but little next week; in RTC, stuff will
> stagnate during their offline times; with CTR they can
> add their code and next week, when unavailable,
> people can add upon it, improve it, etc... RTC requires
> a longer time commitment and availability to see
> things through to the end, tough things with the
> bursty nature of volunteers.

View raw message