httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Garrett Rooney <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: mod_mbox bug squashing
Date Sun, 28 Aug 2005 19:38:43 GMT
Maxime Petazzoni wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As the Summer Of Code deadline approaches, I'd like to put mod_mbox to
> the test in order to fix as many bugs as possible.
>
> If you are willing to help, here follows some useful information :
>
> - mod_mbox offers an AJAX browser (XXXXYY.mbox/browser) for dynamic
>   archive browsing to Javascript capable browsers. Still, the AJAX
>   browser is known to be working only in Gecko-based browser for the
>   moment.
>
> - Whatever your browser is, if the AJAX browsing interface does not
>   work for you, fall back to flat mode by deactivating Javascript or
>   changing the URL from XXXXYY.mbox/browser to XXXXYY.mbox/thread
>
> - Please submit reports as answers to this thread, including your
>   operating system version, your browser version and the URL where you
>   noticed the problem. If it's in the AJAX browsing interface, please
>   give the month, year, and relevant mail information (author, date
>   and subject).
>
> The latest version of mod_mbox running an up-to-date rsync of the
> httpd-dev mail archives is available at
> http://skikda.bulix.org/archives/dev/

I played around with this a bit, and I have a few comments.

1) It looks very cool, much nicer than the existing mod_mbox UI.

2) The way you let the user page through different parts of a given
month is easy to miss.  It took me a while to notice that the "1 2 3 4"
links were up at the top.  Adding "next" and "prev" links at the top and
bottom would solve that problem.

3) In the AJAX UI visiting a link doesn't result in it being marked as
"visited" in the same way that visiting a link in the non-AJAX UI does.
  If there's some CSS/JavaScript magic that can fix that it would be a
good thing, as it's useful when searching through large amounts of mail
to see where you've already looked.

4) The Back button is "broken" in the AJAX view, but you probably
already knew that.  Don't know if there's much that can be done about it.

5) If you know that the AJAX view only works in Gecko based browsers do
you plan on sniffing the browser type and redirecting to the non-AJAX
view in that case?  This is probably a bit of a controversial subject,
but it seems like the kind of thing that would have to be resolved
before the ASF could roll something like this out.

-garrett