httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@remulak.net>
Subject Re: TCP_CORK in Linux 2.6: not broken, but it doesn't work with TCP_NODELAY
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2005 13:30:37 GMT
Brian Pane wrote:

> Rather than automatically setting TCP_NODELAY  in core_pre_connection(),
> perhaps we should set it conditionally in core_output_filter(), where
> we have
> enough information to tell whether it's needed.

I'm +1 on the concept of being more lazy about setting the sockopts.  the way we
do it now on Linux is pretty silly.  we set it one way, discover we're doing
sendfile and change our minds and flip it the other way, then set another
option, then undo that and go back to step 1.  these syscalls seem cheap on
Linux but half of them could be eliminated.  doing so might bypass the 2.6 cork
bug.

Greg