httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Garrett Rooney <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: httpd has no reason to improve...
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:39:14 GMT
Paul A Houle wrote:

>    I don't see end users clamoring for mod_ftp,  or mod_snmpd.  What's
> the point of writing a squid replacement unless you can actually make
> something better?

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that it's the users who
decide what the project does.  Apache projects (along with most other
open source projects) are developer driven, if there are developers
interested in working on something, be it mod_ftp, mod_smtpd, or
whatever, it will get done, otherwise it won't.  If the users want
something to happen and people aren't working on it, they can work on it
themselves or hire someone to do it for them, but just saying "nobody
wants this" is meaningless, since clearly the developers who are writing
the code do want it, and that's all that really matters.

-garrett