httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r.pl...@t-online.de
Subject Re: Thoughts on Future Versions/Backporting
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:22:58 GMT

Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

[..cut..]

>     "Release from trunk every 4-6 months.  Only backport critical
> bugfixes."

I think this is too often for httpd releases. From my point of view 1 year would be ok.
I think we need longer periods for that than subversion because the user base is much different
from the one of subversion. As I stated before httpd users are more dependent on 3rd party
modules that would need to be revalidated / adjusted against a new trunk release.
For this reason I assume that it is easier for users to update their subversion release than
their httpd release. But if this assumption holds true there will be more demand to keep
all these previous releases maintained, whether we like that and did not promise that or not.
And that in turn creates more backport work (and especially review work) and not less.

Regards

RĂ¼diger