httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: 2.1 proxy and keepalives
Date Sat, 13 Aug 2005 10:12:09 GMT
Akins, Brian wrote:

> Does this code from 2.1 in apr_proxy_http_request still make sense?  Do we
> not want to attempt to maintain the server connection anyway?  Maybe I'm
> missing some other logic...
>
>  /* strip connection listed hop-by-hop headers from the request */
>     /* even though in theory a connection: close coming from the client
>      * should not affect the connection to the server, it's unlikely
>      * that subsequent client requests will hit this thread/process,
>      * so we cancel server keepalive if the client does.
>      */

This code was from the days when keepalives were supported, but there
was no connection pool, so keeping the connection open beyond the end of
a frontend connection made no sense.

Now there is a connection pool, so in theory the code should no longer
be there. I would check though whether removing this code (which I think
is the right thing to do) doesn't uncover some regressions - the major
testing on the connection pool as I understand revolved around the ajp
connector rather than the http connector.

Regards,
Graham