httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brad Nicholes" <BNICHO...@novell.com>
Subject Re: RTC killed the open source project
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2005 17:42:27 GMT

> <B6A0E98A7476A045DD54D71F@Justin-Erenkrantzs-Computer.local>,
> justin@erenkrantz.com wrote:
>
>If you want to place a cause on why 2.2 hasn't been released, I feel
that
>there is only one real reason.  I gave up on trying to do 2.1/2.2
releases
>because I got fed up with having every release blocked for
illegitimate
>reasons.  Paul ran into the exact same roadblocks; but he's probably
too nice
>to admit it.
>
>The 'slow release cycle' has *nothing* to do with CTR or RTC.  --
justin

But I think the point is that RTC has damped the enthusiasm of many
contributors that would have helped to raise the noise level to push
past the silly blocker reasons.

  On a slightly different note, I think that the release of 2.0 had the
same "blocker reasons" problem.  The only reason why it was released
when it was (prematurely or not) was due to the fact that the RM was
going to release it no matter what and we would deal with the fall out
later.  Some could argue that that was a bad thing for the httpd project
and the ASF.  Others could argue that it forced forward progress.

Brad