httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brad Nicholes" <BNICHO...@novell.com>
Subject Re: RTC killed the open source project
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2005 15:38:01 GMT

<42F8C040.8060003@webthing.com>, nick@webthing.com wrote:

> I think there could be some mileage in a hybrid policy, with
> lazy consensus on simple bugfixes and RTC on any new functionality
> or substantial changes.  There's a problem of definition in there,
> but if lazy consensus requires (say) a month in STATUS it gives ample
> time for someone to shout "that's too big - needs proper RTC".

+1, I think a month is too long but I am sure that there is a period of time that is sufficient
to satisfy lazy consensus as well as RTC.  I've seen backport proposals miss releases simply
on lack of review even though they had more than enough time in the STATUS file.  I've even
seen reviewed backports turn out to be problems in a release.  Not because of inadequate review
but because the only way that the problem was going to be found was through real world testing.
 "Release early, release often" IMHO is going to shoot down more bugs than "review it in the
STATUS file".

Brad