httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: httpd-2.x servertype inetd
Date Fri, 05 Aug 2005 08:20:10 GMT
Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there still no httpd-1.3 "servertype inetd" style MPM for httpd-2.x?
>
> It would be useful for low-cost "config-reloading" testing/staging daemon.

In what sense low-cost?

Apache's high startup cost is self-reinforcing.  We know it's a
once-only thing, so we have every module do expensive things at
startup rather than per-request.  I don't see how inetd would
affect that.  The only thing you'd save is the spawning of
children, which you already noted ...

> Do you see it as a separate MPM or some option to prefork.c would be enough?
> There is already the "-X"/"DEBUG" hack.

Well, in principle I guess it could be an MPM.  Or a simple harness
(few lines of script).  If you want to try "servertype inetd" on
anything as recent as 1.3, let alone 2.x, you're AFAIK on your own.

FWIW, to get low-cost startup for debugging, I simply use a much-reduced
httpd.conf and load the minimum number of modules.  That's not quite
the same scenario, but worth bearing in mind.

--
Nick Kew