httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: macro facility/default conf file/auth groups
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2005 17:01:10 GMT

Paul A Houle wrote:

> (1) I've evolved a nice system for implementing virtual hosts (directory
> layouts,  using Include directives to segment configuration) files that
> benefits from years of mistakes that I and others have made.  I'm
> wondering if there's any interest in refactoring the apache conf file
> into a number of separate files to reflect "better practices" than the
> current default conf file.  The idea isn't to force people to change,
> but to encourage future installations to be more managable.  I'll be
> happy to give more specifics if people are interested.

The most recent development branch has started on this process:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/docs/conf/
The main goal was simplification rather than manageability for complex
configs.
Suggestions for improvement are always welcome.

> (2) This particular system has a production and a test instance,  so I'd
> love to have a way to set variables that I can interpolate into
> arbitrary strings.

- mod_macro
- config pre-processor (m4, etc)

httpd.conf is a config file, not a programming language.

>    Another case where I might like macros (but settled for using an
> Include) is filling out all the auth configuration for <Directory>
> files.  A whole bunch of vhosts will share a users and group file across
> a number of directories.  It's really a drag to specify four
> configuration parameters per-<Directory> that are the same everywhere,
> and some way to repeat this would be welcome.

It's hard to tell exactly what you want, but wildcard <Directory>
sections can often be used in cases like this.

> (4) Once again I'm stung by the inability to make AND criteria stick.
> For instance,  we have 2 kinds of people working on N projects:
> developers and designers.  All of these projects have certain
> directories that developers are interested in and others that designers
> are interested on.  I'd like to say something like
>
> require group projectA AND group developer

Preprocess the groups file to add a projectAanddeveloper group?

Apache httpd has tried to keep the unix design philosophy of doing one
thing well and using a tool chain to do complicated things.

Joshua.