httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Colm MacCarthaigh <c...@stdlib.net>
Subject Re: Graceful stop implementation nits
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:42:34 GMT
On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 11:17:29AM +0100, Joe Orton wrote:
> > 	apachectl graceful-stop
> > 	apachectl start
> >
> > and have it work as the admin would expect, but this leads to some
> > complications. Files like the ScriptSock, ScoreBoardFile,
> > SSLSessionCache, LockFile, LDAPSharedCacheFile and so on will get
> > clobbered. Ther will be two instances of httpd, pointing at the same
> > files.
>
> I think the right way to fix this is to make the default behaviour DTRT
> without requiring fancy configuration hacks.
>
> - all shmem stuff should be using anonymous shm segments by default on
> the trunk; so the scoreboard and SSL/LDAP caches should all be fine; do
> you still see issues there really?

Not for me on Linux, but I'm trying to think out the scenarious where
the filename will matter. From looking at apr, there seem to be some
cases when neither anon shm or  mmap("/dev/zero") is available, or is
that near-impossible?

I guess just documenting this loudly in stopping.xml is an approach?

> - lock files created in the parent should append the parent pid to the
> filename automatically, LockFile already does in prefork at least.  It
> should be done for ScriptSock too, I think that's been suggested before
> once already.

O.k. that sounds good, LockFile, ScriptSock, and SSLMutex
fcntl|flock|file all need a pid appendage, anyone know am I missing any?

Also, DavLockDB needs be the same for multiple instances right? And
sdbm should work it out.