httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: RTC killed the open source project
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2005 13:11:56 GMT

On Aug 9, 2005, at 1:55 AM, Aaron Bannert wrote:

> I can't believe you guys are still debating the merits of RTC over CTR
> after all this time. RTC killed the momentum in this project a long
> time
> ago.
>

> The RTC experiment was tried and has failed. Can we please

I think that RTC has a place, but too often RTC is used as a club
to slow down development. Small changes that could easily
be made once the code has been committed instead result in
cycles of "Wouldn't it be best to do this?" and another
round of patch-vote commences.

CTR is better suited towards more volunteer-oriented
processes, where someone may have a lot of time today
and tomorrow, but little next week; in RTC, stuff will
stagnate during their offline times; with CTR they can
add their code and next week, when unavailable,
people can add upon it, improve it, etc... RTC requires
a longer time commitment and availability to see
things through to the end, tough things with the
bursty nature of volunteers.