httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: RTC killed the open source project
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2005 18:28:36 GMT
I'm not talking about 2.2. I'm talking about a severe slowdown in the
pace of development on this entire project.

And it sounds like you've been feeling the effects of all the red tape
too, with being fed up trying to follow through with a release.

There are two separate issues:

* The difficulty in *producing* releases is due to RMs being too afraid
   to make releases that aren't perfect. This phobia is a disease,
because
   it prevents the release-early-release-often motto from happening.

* The difficulty in *making progress toward a releasable repository* is
   being caused by the STATUS file bottleneck. The STATUS file
bottleneck
   is caused because we have Review-Then-Commit rules set up, which
   means everyone has to serialize EVERY CHANGE on that file. (You're
   talking to the thread programming guy here, remember? That's a point
   of contention. :)

    (It's interesting to note that SVN is a parallel development version
     control engine, but RTC forces us to serialize all our changes.
Maybe
     we should start using SCCS.)

RTC came with good intentions (higher quality code), but it's clear now
that it's not working and it needs to change.

-aaron