httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Jem Berkes" <jb-ht...@users.pc9.org>
Subject Re: Initial mod_smtpd code.
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2005 22:26:37 GMT
> But is anyone dealing with outgoing SMTP via a proxy_smtp in the
> mod_proxy framework?  I think you were discussing that a short while
> ago, weren't you?  I think that might be higher priority.

I hesitated on that because I did not understand at all how mod_proxy fits
into this. i.e. I don't see how the proxy mechanism helps in relaying out
mail to other SMTP servers.

Here's an idea on how we can start on the outbound SMTP side of things:

I can start work on a "mod_smtp_relay" which takes an email and attempts to
relay it via the appropriate MX relay. This involves some DNS queries for
MX records, and making new TCP connections to another SMTP server. I
recommend that mod_smtp_relay does not itself do any spooling or queueing,
to isolate these tasks. i.e. some other delivery/scheduler will handle
spooling and retries etc, and occasionally pass an email to mod_smtp_relay

So given an input message, mod_smtp_relay would make an immediate relay
attempt and then return success (sent) or an error describing where along
the lines things went wrong -- it could be DNS, TCP connect failure, or
SMTP error dictating permanent failure or temporary failure, needing retry.