httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Jem Berkes" <jb-ht...@users.pc9.org>
Subject Re: mod_smtpd design.
Date Sun, 03 Jul 2005 23:28:54 GMT
> > I don't see why it matters if there are redundant members in
> > request_rec. However, for purity, it might be cool to divide
> > request_rec up into common elements and protocol-specific stuff in a
> > union.
>
> That's not really a problem, though of course it's hacky.  It's the
> logical consequence of declaring HTTPD to be multi-protocol while making
> so much of it revolve around the request_rec.

Nick, in one of the background docs you sent me the 'connection filters'
were described as operating outside the scope of HTTP or any request_rec. I
know this is a living, changing work in progress but it seems confusing, at
least to me, to shoehorn arbitrary protocols into HTTP-ish "requests".

I'm having difficulty envisioning how an SMTP communication can be broken
up into requests, i.e. something like HTTP requests. For example:

01  HELO joe
02  MAIL FROM:<sender1>
03  RCPT TO:<abc>
04  RCPT TO:<xyz>
05  DATA
06  ...
07  MAIL FROM:<sender2>
08  RCPT TO:<niq>
09  DATA
10  ...
11  QUIT

Now how do you split this up into requests? Does 05 represent a single
request, or does that DATA generate two different requests - 03 and 04 (one
for each recipient)? Or is the whole thing, until 11, a single request?
Perhaps the MAIL FROM's start new requests, i.e. 02 and 07 (two requests).

It just seems ambiguous and difficult to justify in any way. Mind you I
still might be not fully understanding Apache's request paradigm.