httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Parin Shah <parin....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: mod-cache-requestor plan
Date Fri, 22 Jul 2005 06:02:24 GMT
Thanks Ian, Graham and Sergio for your help.

for past couple of days I am trying to figure out how our
mod-cache-requester should spawn thread (or set of threads).
Currently, I am considering following option. please let me know what
you think about this approach.

- mod-cache-requester would be a sub-module in mod-cache as Graham had
suggested once.

- it would look similar to mod-mem-cache. it would have provider
(mod-cache-requester-provider, for lack of any better word for now)
registered.

- mod-cache (cache_url_handler to be precise)  will do lookup for this
provider and will use this provider's methods to push any page which
is soon-to-be-expired in the priority queue.

- in the post config of the mod-cache-requester our pqueue would be
initialized along with mutexes and other stuff.

- now, we would create new thread (or set of threads) in the post
config which would basically contain an infinite loop. it (or they)
will keep checking pqueue and would make sub requests accordingly.

Does this make sense?

If this approach is correct then I have some questions regarding
thread vs process implementation. I would start discussing it once we
have main architecture in place.

Thanks,
Parin.